Wednesday, February 25, 2015

What to Do on a Snow Day


One of my favorite things about winter is snow days. You are planning on class and then, suddenly, your day turns all awesome and magical because your school decides they do actually love you and they cancel class.

I am currently off of school for two days because people down south don’t know how to deal when it snows. I mean, I’m not complaining. I get to chill with my friends and do nothing but watch movies and snack (and mayyyybe do some homework). Experiencing this, I was thinking about all that is essential for a snow day. And of course, I am going to share them with you. 

Stay in Your Comfy Clothes
The first thing I did when I found out we were having a snow day is I got into comfy clothes. I am obsessed with joggers right now because they are so stinking comfy. I got mine from TJMaxx and they are all warm and fuzzy on the inside. I also love my hoodie I got from Aerie (I have talked about it before) but I love how comfy it is and it can be all lounge-y or you zip down the sides and its fancier with all the lace underneath. It’s perf. Also, if I find out early enough in the day that we are not having school, I throw on a beanie cause I am not about to spend time on my hair when I don’t have too. My favorite beanies are from Neff and Forever 21. And of course you can’t forget the fuzzy socks.

Have a TV/Movie Marathon
A snow day isn’t complete without watching a ridiculous amount of Netflix or movies. I thought I’d share with you guys my current favorite TV shows, whether on TV now or on Netflix.

If you want comedic drama...
 - Jane the Virgin: This is the story of Jane who was determined not to end up like her mother, so she stayed a virgin. Everything changes, though when she is accidently artificially inseminated. I love this show. I thought it was going to be dumb, but it is sooo funny and I fell in love with the characters. I definitely recommend checking this show out.
- White Collar: This show is about an ex-con who is brought in to consult on White Collar cases. This show is awesome because you fall in love with all of the characters and the main character, Neal, is hilarious.
- Royal Pains: This is about a doctor who ends up becoming a traveling physician to the rich and famous at their homes in the Hamptons. Again, this is a show where you fall in love with the characters. It also has a lot of well-placed humor.

If you want comedy...
- New Girl: Oh my gosh this show is sooooo funny. You want to laugh? Watch this show. It’s about a elementary school teacher who becomes roommates with three guys. Seriously, so funny.
- Friends: This is a classic. I love watching this show. It’s about six friends and their lives together. I could binge watch this show forever it’s so good.
- Double Divas: My roommate and I binge watch this show like crazy. It’s a reality show about two women who own a lingerie store and they fit bras for all these crazy cases. It’s funny and entertaining for some reason haha.

If you want sci-fi drama...
- The 100: This show is our world in the future where the earth is no longer livable so they live in a large space station called “The Ark”. When they start running out of oxygen, they send 100 teenage criminals to the ground to see if it is livable on earth now. I love this show. It is so interesting and compelling to watch.
- Arrow: This is about a playboy who gets stranded on an island for five years, changing him. When he returns home he becomes a vengeful superhero who saves the city with his only weapon of a bow and arrows. This show is so good. If you want a show to get invested in, watch this. Seriously.
- The Flash: This show comes from a character on Arrow. It’s about a guy who gets hit by lightening and gains super speed. He uses this to fight crime in his city. This one is less serious than Arrow, but it is also really good. Plus, the main actor is such a good actor.
- Once Upon a Time: This is one of my favorite shows and I recently got my roommate hooked. This is basically all of the storybook characters, but with a twist. They have been cursed and are now in the real world and don’t remember their storybook pasts. It’s such a cool show, not to mention how interesting it is.

If you want drama...
- Reign: This is my absolute FAVORITE show. This is about Mary, Queen of Scots and her life which is full of drama and intrigue and this show is just sooooo stinking good! Seriously, check it out.
- One Tree Hill: This is one of my favorite shows. You have to get past the first five episodes before it gets good, but when you do you are hooked. This show is about two stepbrothers’ rivalry in basketball and life. It’s really good.
- Gossip Girl: This is about the drama of teens at a prestigious New York boarding school, which is made worse by an anonymous blogger who is spreading everyone’s secrets. This show is so dramatic but so addicting.
- Chasing Life: I don't know why but I am so addicted to this show. It's about a journalist whose life starts coming together how she wants it, and then she finds out she has cancer. It sounds like it would be cheesy but it's actually really interesting and well done.

Make Snacks
Snow days are the perfect days to curl up with a warm drink. White hot chocolate has become one of my favorite hot drinks. This is probably because I feel like white hot chocolate doesn’t have as strong of a taste so when I add peppermint or pumpkin spice to it, the extra flavor is stronger. I would recommend these recipes: Peppermint White Hot Chocolate and Pumpkin Spice White Hot Chocolate and Caramel White Hot Chocolate. But, if you are like me and in college and you can’t use a stove, Walmart sells white hot chocolate packets and you can heat up water in a Keurig, and then add peppermint extract or caramel sauce.

Also my current favorite snacks are pistachios and Indiana Movie Theater Popcorn, but I also love trying Pinterest recipes. Back home, my friend and I make microwave mug cakes. All you need is 3 tbsp. of cake mix (any boxed cake mix works) and 2 tbsp. of water. You mix that together in a mug and then cook it in the microwave for one minute. Just add frosting on top and enjoy. This is great especially if you are in college because most have a mug and a microwave and it’s super quick to make.

Do Some Beauty Treatments
On snow days, I love to do a face mask because I actually have the time. My favorite one is by First Aid Beauty and it’s their Skin Rescue Purifying Mask with Red Clay. There are a ton on Pinterest, though, that you can use ingredients you have at home for a lot cheaper, such as this Honey Cinnamon Nutmeg face mask. I also really like using Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips to get all the nastiness out of the pores on my nose.

Also, if you want tips on how my best friend and I get rid of dry skin this winter, check out my Winter Essentials post.

Those are all my essentials for a snow day, and I wish you guys all the snow days you can get this winter. :) Thanks, lovelies!
- Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment