Saturday, January 17, 2015

Winter Essentials: Beauty, Fashion, and Random


Today I thought I’d bring a fresh face/perspective to the blog. This is one of my best friends, Sarah. She is a feisty, fun and hilarious red head who loves beauty products like I do. I thought we could do a blog post together where we both share our winter essentials. 

BEAUTY //

Sarah: Hello everyone! My name is Sarah. You may be thinking, "Wait what? Who is this girl?" Well you see, my best friend thought it would be a great idea to let me be a guest blogger. Great Idea? YASSS!!!! SO here we go…


Let’s start off with talking about how damaging winter truly is. Your hair can get so dried out during these next few months. It is awful! One of my favorite things to use is hair oils. I have so many of these fancy hair oils that all claim to do wonders for your hair. My favorite one to use is Macadamia Healing Oil Treatment. This stuff is amazing! It definitely protects your hair and makes it feeling softer than ever. Be careful, a little goes a long way. 

Kirsten: My favorite hair product for the winter is also a hair oil. Mine is from TJMaxx (Bless that store. My college budget is so happy there.) and called MOA Argan+ Hair Treatment. What I do is in the morning after I blow dry my hair, I put this oil in my hair. Then, I proceed with curling my hair. I don’t know why, but when I use the oil after I blow dry and before I curl my hair, then it’s a winning combination. My curls stay longer and it doesn’t get frizzy.

Sarah: Next, let’s talk about lips. Who wants chapped lips? Not me! To keep my lips looking soft and healthy, I use a rosebud salve. This stuff will make your lips looking soft and healthy after one use. But wait, that's not all! Not only can you use it on your lips, but you can also use it for your knees, cuticles, elbows, anything. Definitely worth the five or six dollars. 


Kirsten: I have been loving my EOS lip balm (who doesn’t?) and my favorite lip product has been my lipstick from Revlon called “Sassy Mauve.” I love the color of this lipstick. It’s berry without being too dark, because I am just someone who doesn’t like my lips to be too dark or bright. Also, for chapped hands, I’ve been using my EOS hand lotion in Very Berry. I love how it moisturizes my hands but it doesn’t irritate them. Almost all hand lotions make my hands turn red and become itchy and sore. This lotion doesn’t do that.

Sarah: I know it is cold outside and nobody wants to dry out their face even more than the chilly air is already doing.  However, you still need to wash your face and find the perfect moisturizer for your skin type in the winter. I use Clean & Clear's morning burst hydrating facial cleanser and moisturizer. I have sensitive skin and it was hard for me to find something that works for my skin. I especially love the moisturizer. It makes your face feel as if you are frolicking in a field of daisies. It is so perfect for the winter time.

Kirsten: For my face wash, I’ve been using my Origins face scrub at night to get all of the makeup off of my face and then I use coconut oil. I know. It seems weird to use oil on your face when you really want to avoid having an oily face. But, I promise it works SOOO amazingly well. I was at a loss of what to use the other day because I was getting frustrated how dry my face was getting. My roommate suggested coconut oil and oh my goodness. When I woke up the next morning, my skin looked so much better. Also, coconut oil is so cool because it also helps get rid of the bad oils on your face. What we also have been doing in my room is at night we run a humidifier, which is awesome because then your skin is getting extra moisture while you sleep.

STYLE // 

Sarah: I know it is cold out but you still want to look totally cute. A great way to keep warm and look cute is to layer. If I am feeling like I just want to lounge around but still look cute, I would pull out some skinny jeans, a casual V-neck with a cami underneath, a cute cardigan on top and some super cute earrings or a simple necklace. Oh and you can't forget the slippers. If you want to dress up a little more or you are going out for a fun day shopping with your bestie, large, baggy sweaters are in right now. Wear some casual UGGs and legwarmers. Tie it in with a bandana and some dangly earrings. 

Kirsten: My current favorite thing to do when it comes to my style is layer what I’m wearing. I love my cute tops that don’t have any sleeves so if I’m wearing those, I pair a flannel or a comfy sweater with them and add a cute scarf. I am also in love with the army green coat I got from Forever 21. I pair it with one of my plaid scarves that I also got from Forever 21. When it comes to shoes, I like to wear my boots. The only problem is that where my college is as well as where my home are, it’s either super snowy or muddy from rain or melting snow. So, I waterproof my boots. You can get this spray from pretty much any store like Walmart or Payless (the latter is where my mom always bought my waterproof spray). Just let your boots sit for a day after you spray them and then they should be good to go. I have done this with all of my shoes, which I love because then my feet never get wet.

RANDOM // 

Sarah: So now that you look super cute and have some winter essentials under your belt, you may be asking what some fun things to do are. If you have some snow where you live, making a snowman, sledding, or making some delicious snow ice cream are great ways to use all that white stuff out in front of your house. If you don’t have much snow, you can always bake some cookies, snail-mail a letter or a card to a friend, drink eggnog, or some apple cider. There are so many fun things to do during those chilly and crisp months.

Kirsten: Since I’m in college, I don’t have as much time to do fun winter things (also it hasn’t snowed… unless you count a dusting the other day, which I don’t). So, my friends and I have been doing things like having girls’ night in my room, watching a movie (Tonight we are watching Confessions of a Shopaholic. I LOVE this movie.) and ordering pizza. Another thing we have been doing since it’s been so cold out is work out. We can’t really do anything outside so we have been going to the gym a lot and running or doing pilates and then grabbing dinner together. What I love about the cold months is that I feel like it brings people together.

I hope you enjoyed our collaborative post and let me know what your winter essentials are in the comments below. If you want to keep up with Sarah, you can follow her on twitter or on Pinterest.

Thanks lovelies,
Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment