Saturday, February 21, 2015

How to Avoid Limp, Dry Hair This Winter


I have looooong hair. Like one more inch, and it’s to my belly-button. When you have hair as long as mine, you have to take really good care of it since you don’t want it looking stringy, or broken and split, or just ratchet in general. This winter is especially hard because it’s been so cold, and I am outside walking to class all the time. I have found some products and methods that have really kept my hair moisturized and volumized.

Let me explain my hair type first. I have long, thick hair that gets really dry in my scalp and will have dandruff if I wash my hair two days in a row. But, my hair also gets oily really quickly. Confusing, I know. But, I understand both sides of caring for hair—whether your problem is your hair is too dry or too oily. Plus, I also use products to help my hair have more volume on top. I do that because my hair is so heavy that it makes my hair flat. 


Shampoo
In the winter, I use a moisturizing shampoo that isn’t clear. What I mean by this, is that I use a creamier one, which tends to be more moisturizing. (My favorite is Herbal Essences Hydralicious Reconditioning Shampoo.) Also, every couple of weeks I use a clarifying shampoo to get all the product build up out of my hair. This helps clear out the gunk that is weighing down your hair and drying it out.

Conditioner
With conditioner, I use a couple different ones. Typically, I will use pretty much any moisturizing conditioner. Once a week, though, I use a deep conditioner to revive my hair. (My favorite is Aussie’s Moist 3 Minute Miracle) In addition, once a month I use a deep repair mask on my hair. (I use the one by Macadamia Natural Oil) If you want to keep your hair moist, using a deep conditioner is one of the best things your can do. The one consistent thing I always do is when I put my conditioner in my hair, no matter which one I’m using, is I pull my hair back into a bun while I wash my face and body and shave. This way, the conditioner can have time to set in my hair and this way it has a better effect.

Leave-In Products
After my shower, I part my hair and put in a leave-in conditioner. (I use It’s a 10 Leave In Conditioner Plus Keratin) Leave-In Conditioner really helps to keep your hair from getting frizzy and dry. I brush this through my hair with a wide-tooth comb so I don’t break my hair. Your hair is most sensitive when wet so it’s really important not to brush your hair when it’s wet. Also, once a week I use coconut oil on the ends of my hair to freshen them up and keep them from getting frizzy.

Styling
I tend to wash my hair at night so that it has time to dry by morning. However, since my hair is so thick, I still blow dry my hair in the morning. Before I blow dry my hair, I use a heat protectant (I use Tresemme Thermal Creations Spray). While I blow dry my hair, I tend to do it with my hair upside down so that I will get the most volume out of it. Once my hair is all dry, I put argan oil in. Normally people put oil on their hair after they style, but I have found that my hair looks way better if I do it before. This also helps keep frizz down.

After I style my hair, I use hairspray, my personal favorite being Loreal’s Elnett Hairspray because it holds really well, but doesn’t leave my hair crispy. Hairspray is also great to use on flyaways to hold them down.

Upkeep
I wash my hair every other day for the reasons I mentioned earlier. However, my hair will get a little oily and flat between washes. I loooooove dry shampoo. I could not live without it. My favorite is Batiste’s dry shampoo in the Cherry scent. Dry shampoo is incredible because it absorbs all the oil as well as giving life and volume to your hair. Because it gives your hair volume, I also use it when my hair isn't oily.

And that is how I take care of my hair in the winter. I hope this was helpful and if you have any questions, leave them below and I’ll try to answer them.
Thanks lovelies,
Kirsten


No comments:

Post a Comment