Friday, June 26, 2015

My Workout Routine


As I talked about in my last blog post, I started working out regularly this summer with my best friend. We have tried out different routines, and we have finally found something that works best for us. Her and I have two days each of cardio, abs & arms, and butt & legs, with one rest day. I thought I would share what we do each of those days to give you guys maybe some ideas for your own workout routines. Keep in mind that I am not a professional, and this is just what my friend and I do. 

Abs & Arms Days.
On Mondays and Thursdays, my friend and I work our core and arms. Our routine is that we always do cardio first. I have heard that it helps you burn more calories throughout the day when you start off the day with cardio, which also translates into your strength training. Now, we don’t go as hardcore as some people with strength training. If we did, then it is recommended that we do strength training first because then you will have better form, therefore working yourself harder. However, cardio first works for our fitness level.

We always do the elliptical because we hate running. On days when we do strength training right after, we do 30 minutes on the elliptical. Right now, this is my elliptical routine:

Time                     Incline              Resistance
0-5                          12                         5
6-10                        14                         5
11-20                      15                         3
21-25                      14                         5
26-30                      12                         5

This works me well right now. When I first started working out, it was a lot lower for incline and resistance, but I have tried to slowly increase what I’m doing as to keep pushing myself.

Then, we go stretch using a routine I found on Pinterest mixed with some stretches we did in volleyball and soccer. Then, we go do our strength training. We do the first couple on yoga mats, and then we move to the weight machines. If you don’t know what something I mention in here is, I linked a photo or video of what it is. I didn’t include photos of the machines, as each gym tends to be different. Most of the time machines are labeled, so if you look for one that works that area, you should be golden. Also, in between each set don’t forget to take a moment to rest.

Plank (3 sets of 60 sec planks)
Jack-knife Sit-ups (3 sets of 15)
Triangle Push-ups (3 sets of 10)
Bosu Ball Leg Raises (3 sets of 10)
Ab Crunch Machine (3 sets of 10)
Overhead Shoulder Press (3 sets of 10)
Chest Press (3 sets of 10)
Triceps Push Down (3 sets of 10)
Lat Pull Down (3 sets of 10)

In regards to amount of weight to use, a personal trainer at my gym said that if you can only do 8 reps, then you need to go down weight. If you can do 12 reps, then you need to go up. If you can do 10 then you are at the perfect weight.

Butt & Legs Days.
On Tuesdays and Fridays, we do pretty much the same thing that we do for ab & arm days in regards to cardio, but instead we do 45 minutes. This is the routine I have been doing at the moment, but I continually change it to keep pushing myself.

Time                     Incline              Resistance
0-5                          12                         5
6-15                        14                         5
16-25                      15                         3
26-30                      14                         5
31-40                      15                         3
41-45                      14                         5

Then, we do these machines to work out butt and legs:
Squat Machine (3 sets of 10)
Calf Raises (3 sets of 10)
Hip Adduction (3 sets of 10)
Hip Abduction (3 sets of 10)
Glutes Machine (3 sets of 10 for each leg)

Cardio Days.
On Wednesdays, we always do an hour and a half on the elliptical. We split it up in two 45 minute sections, using the same elliptical routine that I mentioned for butt and leg days. In between, we walk the track a couple times. On Saturdays, though, it really depends. Some days we do 45 minutes on the elliptical and then go to Zumba, or we do two hours of elliptical with a break in between each hour. Saturdays really depend on what we are feeling. Sometimes we even do the elliptical for 45 minutes and then go ride bikes or go for a run at the beach near where we live. Saturdays are when we have the most time so we get creative with what we do.

I hope my workout routine gave you some ideas. I am by no means a professional, so these are all just what my friend and I do. My next two posts will be a part of my workout series I am doing. Hopefully these are inspiring you guys to get working out or just more active.

Thanks lovelies!

1 comment:

  1. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work.
    ab crunch machine

    ReplyDelete