Tuesday, June 23, 2015

DIY Workout Calendar


This summer I decided to get serious about working out. I worked out twice a week while at college, but this summer I had all of this extra time when I wasn’t working, so I figured what is a better thing to fill it with than working out?

In order to keep track of my progress, get motivation, and stay organized of when my best friend and I were meeting to workout, I created this workout calendar. It has worked so perfectly, and I will definitely be bringing it to college. This has helped me not only stay on track, but get inspired when I felt anything but motivated.

I got the white board calendar with the corkboard at the bottom from either Walmart or Target last year. It was perfect for everything that I wanted for my workout calendar.


Schedule.
What I did first of all was decide which days will be my abs & arms days, butt & legs days, and cardio days, as well as my rest day. My friend and I decided that Mondays and Thursdays would be abs & arms, Tuesday & Friday would be butt & legs, Wednesdays and Saturdays would be cardio days, and Sunday would be our rest day. Whatever works best for you, is what you should do. Her and I just found that Sundays were the days we had the least amount of time to workout so we scheduled accordingly.


Inspirational Photos.
I love fitspiration blogs on tumblr. They are an addiction, but so inspiring. I went to one of my favorites, Fitspoholic, and found six images that made me feel like “I want to go workout right now.” I then spaced them out on a Word document, made them all the same size by cropping them into a square shape, and then printed them out.

The next part was where I cut them out. I cut them out so as to look like polaroids. I eyed each on to make them about the same size, but I wasn’t worried about them being exact. If you want to measure them out, I would suggest cutting one, and then laying it on top of each one. Then, trace with a pencil on the back of each photo. Then cutting them should make them all perfectly the same. I didn’t find all of that necessary because mine turned out all pretty similar.

I used some twine that I had hung with pushpins, and some mini clothespins that I got from the dollar section at Target to hang them. I love how this turned out because it helps motivate me when I feel less than motivated to get off my butt and off of Netflix to go workout. I especially love the quote that I printed out that says, “Small steps everyday.” That quote has kept me going everyday with working out.


Weight Loss Tracking.
Now, I never weighed myself ever before working out. I got down about it and would focus so hard on the number that I ended up forgetting all of the good things I was doing for my health. But, I decided that it was time to come to terms with my weight and do something about it. Now I am in my healthy weight range, but I’m not at my goal weight. I figured out what that was and then put that many clothespins on a piece of twine. That way, every week that I weigh myself, if I lost any weight, I can move over a clothespin for every pound lost. It’s a great way to visually see your progress. I used twine that I already had at home and the mini clothespins were from the dollar section at Target.


Utilizing the Calendar.
I found that the best way for me to use the calendar after it was all filled out was to write down my times that I will be working out each day. Whether you have a workout buddy, or not, I’ve found that it’s better to plan when I go, because then it’s like an appointment I have with the gym. I also found it motivating to cross off each day once it was completed. When I start feeling discouraged like I haven’t really done anything good for my health, I can look at my calendar and see all the days that I went to the gym. It also keeps me going everyday because I don’t want to lose my streak.


I hope this calendar helps you guys on your fitness journeys. The next couple of posts I will be putting up will be fitness related. I hope these help you guys stay motivated. Just take it one day at a time, with small steps everyday. We’ve got this.

Thanks lovelies!

No comments:

Post a Comment