Saturday, March 28, 2015

How to Survive Rainy Days in College


I love rainy days when I don’t have to be anywhere. But in college, you are walking in the rain often, especially during the spring time. I hate getting wet, so I have found some methods that help me get through rainy days relatively dry, and hopefully they will help you too. :)

Be Prepared
I keep an umbrella in my book bag at all times just in case a lovely day turns into a downpour. You never know. As my mother says, “just in case.” I am the worst about losing my umbrellas, though. My family gave me two new umbrellas for Christmas, the second one being a backup because they knew I would lose at least one of them. (I did…) I have tried to make an effort to keep up with my umbrellas in that I don’t leave them on the floor where I can easily forget them. I will put it on the table next to me, or just put my umbrella in the pouch it came with and put it in my book bag. If you don’t have a pouch, use a cute small shopping bag. The last thing you want is for your books to get wet, too.

Also, check the weather. This sounds like the simplest advice ever, but I know it can be so easy to forget this step. I use the Yahoo Weather App because it is way more detailed than the weather app my iPhone came with. The app tells you hour-by-hour what it will look like, as well as chances of precipitation throughout the day, a weather map, and how windy it is. This app is very thorough and gives me all the information I could possibly need. 

Waterproof Your Shoes
One thing I have learned from living in PA half of my life is to waterproof your shoes. This makes it so much easier to pick out shoes when it’s raining outside. I really want a pair of Hunter rain boots, but I don’t have the money. And since I still want my feet to look cute in the shoes I own, I spray them with a waterproof spray. You can get this from Walmart, Target, or even Payless. This is something that has saved me from having wet feet more than once.

Get Cute Rainy Weather Gear
I see this kind of how I view workout clothes. If they aren’t cute, you won’t want to use them or go out. Cute umbrellas can be super cheap from Walmart, and I got my current raincoat years ago from Target. When I use my cute rainy day stuff, it makes the rainy day better. It sounds silly, but it works for me.

Being Productive
I am someone who loves curling up and reading a book while I listen to the rain falling outside. Being productive on rainy days is the biggest struggle. I normally force myself to go to the library and get work done. If I go somewhere besides your room or bed, I normally get so much more work done. But, I set a certain time that I am there. Such as, if I am productive for the next three hours in the library and get all my work done, I can go back to my dorm and read a book and listen to the rain fall.

I hope these tips help you survive rainy days in college. And if they don’t, well, dancing in the rain is always fun. :) Haha, anyways, I hope this helped you. Let me know if you have any other tips for staying dry on rainy days. I am always looking for more ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment