Wednesday, March 25, 2015

How I Organize My College Closet


I have a lot of clothes, which is typical for pretty much any girl. So one of my major concerns when I got to college is how do I fit everything in my tiny college closet? Through trial and error, I have come up with some methods that really work for me. Hopefully this gives you some ideas for your college closet or if you have a small closet of how to fit everything and still be organized.

Thin, Matching Hangers
This is something I saw everywhere. People were all saying that when you have thin hangers, you can fit more in your closet, and when they all match, you closet seems less cluttered and more organized. I found this to be true. I got velvet-y, thin, teal hangers. The velvet helps keep shirts that would normally slip off the hanger in their places, and I like how the teal matches my colors. I would definitely suggest doing this. I got mine from TJMaxx for a cheap price, but I have seen them at random places like Five Below. I’m sure you could even order them from Amazon.

Only Keep the Clothes You Actually Wear
This sounds like the simplest advice ever, but it needs to be said. I was keeping a lot of pieces of clothing that I kept saying that I would wear eventually, but I never did. If you haven’t worn that piece in a year, when you have gone through every season, I would suggest selling it or donating it, or if you don’t want to part with it, keeping it at home. College closets are so small that it’s better to have essentials that are versatile that you can pair with all different kinds of outfits.

Bins
I have three pink bins above my closet from Target. These are great because I can sort out extra stuff that doesn’t necessarily need a hanger. In one bin I have my raincoat, jackets, umbrellas and things such as hats and gloves. The next one holds my t-shirts and exercise shorts. I have so many t-shirts that it takes up so much less room for me to keep them in a bin. The last bin has miscellaneous items such as my laundry bag, extra hangers, my heating pad, and some other stuff. I love that these bins are not see-through because I can throw stuff in them, but they still look neat and organized.

Shoe Organizer
I knew coming to college that I wanted a shelf kind of shoe holder. This way, I could fit more shoes than it’s really meant for. With my flats, I stack the two shoes on top of each other to make more room. This one I got from Target works so well for me and keeps all of my shoes organized without much effort on my part.

Scarves on Hangers
I have a lot of scarves. It wasn’t working for me to keep them in a bin because they were getting unorganized and it was hard to find the one I was looking for in the morning. I then switched to putting four scarves on a hanger, and then hanging those up. It doesn’t take up much room and they are more organized and easier to see. I have also seen specific hangers for hangers, which should work just as well as my method.

Organize by Type of Clothing
In my closet, I organize by type of clothing. From left to right I have skirts, dresses, shirts with thin straps, t-shirts, long sleeves, button-ups, cardigans, sweaters, jackets & blazers, big sweaters, scarves. This keeps everything organized so that if I know I want to layer that day, like I mostly do, I can go to the cardigan section and easily grab one, then I know exactly where all my thin-strapped or t-shirt tops are and can grab one with no problem. I find that when I take the time to put my clothes in order after I wash them, it saves me so much time later.


I hope you guys got some ideas of how to best organize your closet. I may do one on how I organize my dresser and jewelry in the future. Let me know if you’d like to see that.
Thanks lovelies,
Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment