Saturday, March 21, 2015

Book Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard



Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy
Goodreads Rating: 4.12 stars

“The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?”




my opinion:
I was recently home for spring break, and my sister and I took a trip to Barnes & Noble. The cover of this book caught my eye. Impulsively, I bought it. I finished it in three days. I LOVED this book.

I was a bit wary once I started reading that the Silvers have powers. I was like what fantasy novel did I get myself into? The author, however, makes it so the powers aren’t a silly aspect. They add a lot to the story. At times, I was like “really?” with some of the events that happened because of the Silvers’ powers, but for the most part, they were well incorporated.

In the book, there are so many confusing relationships that make you keep reading. Between the guys in her life, some of which I am sure will become bigger characters in the coming sequels (like Kilorn), and the craziness of the rebels and Cal’s fiancé, this book has plenty of character conflict. But, there are reprieves of sweet, romantic moments that confirm that this is definitely a YA book.

The author did a great job of balancing the romance and events such as Mare’s new life, and the rebel attacks. This book could have been heavy with dramatic romance, and although it has it’s sappy moments, they aren’t overwhelming to the story.

If you are looking for a good read, I would suggest this book. It’s a twist on the classic romance story that keeps you intrigued until the very end. I am so excited to read the rest of the series when they come out! And, if you guys read this book or have read it, let me know what you thought of it in the comments.

Thanks lovelies,

Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment