Thursday, January 29, 2015

January Favorites



I can’t believe that January is already over! I’m three weeks into the semester and loving my new major so far. If you didn’t read my previous blog post, I talked all about my major change. January has been an awesome month of new beginnings, fresh hope and perspective, and reunion with my amazing, God-loving college friends. These favorites I’m about to mention are things that I have faithfully been loving this month. I hope you enjoy :)

BEAUTY

I love this BB cream mostly because it just makes my skin look really nice. Its brightening, which is awesome for my skin since I don’t always get a lot of sleep or drink enough water, leaving my skin looking dull. I also love that it has a no-mess pump and you get a lot for your money, even though it’s on the pricier side. Another plus is that this has SPF 45, which is the most I’ve ever seen in a BB cream.


Oh my gosh. My roommate has got me hooked on coconut oil. I have had horrible acne pretty much for half of my life and I finally went to a dermatologist two summers ago. There, they put me on an antibiotic and a cream and a gel for my skin, and also had me wash my face with a benzoyl peroxide wash. My acne went away for the most part, but I hated the fact that I was using so many chemicals for my skin. Recently, I went completely off all of that stuff and started washing my face with my Origins scrub at night and then putting coconut oil all over my face. I tell you, this stuff is a miracle worker.  It sounds counter-productive putting oil on your face if you struggle with acne, but this actually helps because coconut oil gets rid of the bad oils in your skin. I mean, it’s not all because of the coconut oil, since I also cut out deep-fried food, but it mostly is the coconut oil. My skin is clearing up better than it ever has and looks so healthy. Oh, and coconut oil also makes a great hair mask.

I freaking love this stuff. My skin was getting so dry from the cold and this actually keeps my skin hydrated, which is a miracle in of itself. Plus, my favorite part is that I smell like a giant strawberry when I put it on. That may not be your cup of tea, (it makes me SUPER happy) so if it isn’t they have tons of other scents too.
I got my brows done for the first time in my life last week at Ulta’s Benefit brow bar. No, I’m not an uncivilized savage who has horrible eyebrows haha. I’ve just plucked them and never got them waxed. But she suggested that my roommate that never does her eyebrows to use Gimme Brow, and my other roommate had been using this too. So, I thought I’d try it. I use it after I fill in my eyebrows and its great because this product keeps my brows in place and also keeps the color I filled in all day. This product is also great on its own, but I use it with ELF’s eyebrow kit.


I got this as a sample in my Birchbox, and I was excited to use it because it had probiotics in it. I think my skin was craving probiotics because I had been on an antibiotic for so long. This face wash makes my skin so happy and smooth. I alternate between using this and my Origins scrub at night when I wash my face. I will definitely be purchasing this when my sample runs out.

My skin on my body was so dry, but especially on my hands. The problem is that the skin on my hands was super sensitive. Almost any lotion I used left my hands red and burning. I love the EOS hand lotion because it doesn’t irritate my skin at all, plus it keeps them moisturized for a good period of time. Plus, the scent is awesome. However, if berry isn’t your favorite, this also comes in other scents.
Alternate Scents (Target only sells the berry scent, but Ulta has two others)


The only dry part of my body left was my lips. I use EOS lip balm for the majority of the time, but when my lips are really dry and chapped, I use Vaseline. I like that this really takes care of the dryness and it also adds a little color to your lips as well. The only downside is that it is a little messy since its Vaseline, but other than that, I really like this product.

FASHION

I had never heard of a Maurice’s until I was home for Christmas break. I was shopping and couldn’t find any dresses long enough (girl who’s 5’8” probs), until I found this store. I got this dress and I love it. I can dress it down with a long, baggy cardigan (or as I like to call them, blanket sweaters) and a brown belt, or I can dress it up with my belt from Anthropologie and a jacket or blazer. The fit of it is flattering, and the length is slightly longer in the back for those girls who Jesus blessed with a bit more booty, like myself.


I had a pair of black combat boots that I absolutely adored and wore so much that my mother said they were so worn out that it looked like I was going to walk right out of them. I had only had these boots for a year and they weren’t very well made to begin with, probably because I got them from Aeropostale. To my surprise, I found boots that look almost exactly the same down to the gray inside and the blue zipper. And, the great thing is that they are Steve Madden so they will last me longer.

RANDOM

I know. I’m late to the party on this one. But, I heard their music back when they were just on YouTube creating music and doing covers. I rediscovered them on the train ride back to my school. I am in love with their album. My two favorite songs from it at the moment are Bright and Tell Her You Lover Her. I recommend checking the album out if you haven’t already.

I have been using this app pretty much all this month. I love making lists and this app makes it easy. I have tried a lot of list-making apps, and this one is by far my favorite because of how easy and convenient it is. It’s also a website that syncs up with your phone so you can easily see your lists in either place.

This is probably a really weird favorite, but I have been LOVING pistachios lately. I go through a bag every couple days and my fingers are sore from opening the shells. They taste so good! I’m weird that I actually like the taste of the ones that you have to take the shell off rather than the ones that are already shelled. I don’t think anyone else tastes a difference… maybe I’m just weird. If you have never had pistachios, try them! I am going broke from buying these so much but I can’t get enough.

What are your favorites from this month? List them in the comments below! And thanks for reading, lovelies.

- Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment