Monday, March 9, 2015

Lifeproof vs. Otterbox Cases


I had a Lifeproof case from June of 2013 through until recently, and my roommates both have Otterbox cases and have had them for a year. I recently switched over to an Otterbox. I remember debating which case to get for the longest time. I knew I wanted a case that would protect my phone because I am a klutz sometimes, and my best friend has a tendency to accidently knock my phone out of my hand and across the room.

I have heard great things about both, but I thought I’d share what I have experienced with Lifeproof and Otterbox cases (the latter being more of feedback from my roommates). Just a note, I am referring to the Lifeproof: Fre case and the Otterbox: Symmetry case when reviewing the two brands.

Lifeproof //
Pros.
- Waterproof
- Shock-absorbent when dropped
- 1 Year Warranty
- Thin, non-bulky case
- Keeps out dirt and snow
- Different color choices

Cons.
- In order to use your headphones, you have to first plug it into the connector (which I lost a couple times, and stopped working at one point so I had to buy a new one)
- For it to stay waterproof, you have to keep up with the plug that goes into the headphone jack when you aren’t using it (and keep in mind this thing is small and very easy to lose).
- When making calls, it is very hard for people to hear you on the other side because the sound is boxed into the case.
- The same goes for music, in that the music is quieter and doesn’t have as great sound quality because of the case.
- After the 1 Year Warranty was up, the rimming on the case to protect your phone when dropped started coming off. My rimming was almost completely gone. Keep in mind that I don’t throw my phone around. I take very good care of it so any wearing of the case is just from normal everyday use.
- The see-through parts that cover the camera lenses get dirty and are very hard to clean, resulting in not-so-great quality pictures.

Otterbox //
Pros.
- Shock-absorbent
- Slim design
- Different color and design options
- Sound quality is the same as if there wasn’t a case.

Cons.
- Not waterproof
- Doesn’t keep out dirt and snow
- Unless you get the screen protector, your screen gets dirty from use. (I just got computer screen cleaners for really cheap at Walmart and they worked great to fix this problem.)

In all, I am more of an Otterbox case fan. I see getting the Lifeproof case as more of a side one for if you go on vacation or you want to take underwater photos. As an everyday case, I just wasn’t that happy with it. Let me know in the comments which one you prefer and why.

Thanks lovelies,
Kirsten


No comments:

Post a Comment